Theater and opera houses
Michigan Building in Detroit
The Michigan Theater in Detroit is a huge
office building and former theater that was built in
1925 in the style of the French Renaissance for USD 3.5
million; its value would be estimated at almost 43
million today. In the early years, the theater in the
heart of Detroit had more than 4,000 seats on 4 floors
and shone above all through the expansion of its huge
auditorium. Since 1977, however, only cars have been
parked in the old, but so beautiful auditorium, the
closure of which led to much criticism in the USA and is
still regretted today.
Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor
The Michigan State Theater in Ann Arbor is a
non-profit center for film and the performing arts. Its
construction started in 1942 and it was the last
commercial building to be completed in Ann Arbor after
the Second World War. In addition to films, concerts,
performances and exhibitions, a number of further
training courses and activities for children are also
Theater in Detroit
In this relatively small theater with around 70 seats,
puppets from all over the world are played by
professional puppeteers and exhibited in the associated
museum. Dolls from the former Soviet Union, but also
from other cultures, are the pride of the Puppet ART
Countryaah for a full list cities and towns in Michigan. Also includes
counties, airports, zip codes, and public holidays of Michigan.
- Want to know population data of Michigan? Check
Allcitypopulation to get rankings of top cities in Michigan by population.
Museums and exhibitions
Detroit Institute of Arts
The Detroit Institute of Arts is
located in the city's cultural center and is one of the
largest in the United States. There are several museums
in the Woodward and Warren Avenue area of Detroit -
the Institute of Arts is the most popular. A large
number of American artists are represented there, with
Diego Rivera paying particular attention to the Detroit
Industry painting. A separate room was dedicated to him,
in which countless visitors reflect the constant theme,
the harsh tone of the industrial city, every day.
Museum in Lansing
The African World Museum in Lansing (also: All
around the African world museum) opened in 1996. It
focuses on African history and culture and its worldwide
distribution, and exhibits artifacts and art objects
from many African countries. Furthermore, readings and
training courses are offered that deal with topics such
as refugees and racism.
RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing
In addition to 51 other oldsmobiles from 1896 to 2003,
the RE Olds Transportation Museum shows the first
oldsmobile launched in 1897 - originating from the
automobile factory of Ransom Eli Olds and Frank G. Clark
in Lansing. Alongside Mercedes and Peugeot, the
Oldsmobile is one of the oldest car brands in the world.
Museum in Dearborn
About 10 km from downtown Detroit is the small
town of Dearborn, where the famous Henry Ford Museum is
located. However, not only classic cars and works on the
history of Ford are exhibited there, but also other
objects that are important for the American history.
These include, for example, the chair on which Lincoln
was sitting when he was shot or the limousine that
Kennedy was in when he was murdered.
Greenfield Village in
Greenfield Village is an open air museum, which
is located just like the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.
Historically significant and famous buildings from all
over the USA are being rebuilt and restored in their
original form. You can visit the Wright brothers'
aircraft workshop, the first Ford building and the
laboratories of Thomas Alva Edison from Menlo Park.
Although the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village
don't belong together, you can buy a combo ticket for
both and save a few dollars.
Monuments and memorials
Center in Farmington Hills
The Zenkelmann family's Holocaust Memorial
Center in Farmington Hills was established in 1984 as
the first of its kind in the United States. On the one
hand, it addresses the persecution of the Jews during
National Socialism, on the other hand the history and
culture of the Jewish people worldwide. It also served
as a model for the construction of the Holocaust Center
in Washington DC
Father Marquette National Memorial
The Father Marquette National Memorial was created to
honor the life and work of the French priest Jaques
Marquette. It is located in the Straits State Park in
St. Ignace on Michigan's upper peninsula. There he
founded his Jesuit mission in 1671 and was buried 7
years later. On a 15-station nature trail, visitors to
the park can learn more about the history of the priest
Special churches, temples and monasteries
St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church in Detroit
The St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church is a
Catholic church on Canfield Avenue in Detroit. It was
built in the Gothic style in 1901 and included in the
National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and listed
as a historical monument. The almost 60 m high red brick
church was named after the Greek priest St. Josaphat
Kuntseyvch, as it was mainly used by Polish immigrants
until the 1960s and its construction was to honor the
former Archbishop of Polotsk in Poland.
St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church in
The St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church
on Baldwin Avenue in Detroit is a cruciform church that
belonged to the Belgian community in Michigan around
1850. The neuromanic church consists of a total of four
buildings - the high age, the church itself, the rectory
and a school. Today she has more than 3000 followers,
many of whom are of German, Irish and Scottish descent.
Preybeyterian Church in Bloomfield
Kirk-in-the-hills Preybeyterian Church is a
Gothic-style cathedral-like church in Bloomfield
Township, which was built in 1958. Its name comes from
the Scottish word kirk, which means church. It was built
on the model of the Scottish church Melrose Abbey in
Melrose. The entire area around the graceful church
covers 160,000 mē. Its architecture is a prime example
of Gothic architecture in the United States.
Mariner's Church in Detroit
The Neo-Gothic Anglican Church, built in 1842,
is located on East Jefferson Street in Detroit. The free
and independent church was founded in 1842 and added to
the National Register of Historic Places in the United
States in 1971. In front of its gates is a bronze
sculpture of former President George Washington. It is
the most visited church in Michigan.